November 15, 2020

Into the woods

We had plans to go camping with our friends in June. We actually had two campsites booked for two different dates and both of them got canceled on us for different reasons. We tried to book another campsite, but apparently there is a huge shortage on campsites during Covid and no one would allow us to come as a group, so one of my friends suggested to go dispersed camping instead.
Our friends had left a day prior to us because I didn't have the kids the day they left. All I had was some coordinates of where they were going to be, so I was a little nervous about finding them since I knew I wouldn't have any cell phone connection there either. 
We got to the site and they were nowhere to be found. I drove up and down the road and started to panic a little, wondering if I should just go home or camp with the boys by myself. I decided to drive back into town, which was 30 minutes away, to get some cell phone reception, in the hopes to be able to reach them. Lucky for me, my friends had already sent out a "search party" for me and the boys and drove into town themselves trying to contact me and I was able to send them the location we were at and they rescued us.
We had a little picnic on the side of the road while waiting for our friends. 


When I followed them to the campsite, I realized that I previously been in the exact spot they had sent me. Only difference was that we had to literally drive our cars into the woods, which I would've never attempted by myself. 

We had a total of 19 people, nine adults and ten kids (obviously I was the only one there without a partner) and everyone helped me set up our stuff and watch my kids. 

After we were set up, we loaded up the kids and drove to the nearby creek. The water was freezing, but the kids didn't mind.


Seeing my friend's husbands help my kids meant so much to me. I had to keep Finn safe around the water, but the guys were all right there with the big kids.



Most of the kids were 4-6 years old, but Finn had a little friend too. She was trying to convince him to play in the water with her, but he wasn't having it. 

I'm not sure what the big kids were doing, but they seemed to have a great adventure. 





I love when my friends ask me to hand over my camera, wanting to make sure that I have some pictures with my kids as well.








They were looking for crawdads.









After a few hours we went back to the campsite to start dinner.

It really made me happy to see Fox have so much fun with his friends and exploring in the woods.







Finn was eating some oranges and had juice running down his hands and arms. Unfortunately there were a lot of bees at our campsite and one of them got him. He was such a brave little dude though, we gave him some Tylenol and a marshmallow and he was almost as good as new. 



I've only been to Target once since February, but decided to see if they had anything fun for camping there. I found this bug catcher and it was seriously the best purchase and kept Fox super entertained.



We took a little walk when it got dark. Whenever Finn would hear something, he would ask "What dat sound?" and I would reply "Those are crickets" and he said: "Ohhhh...crickets!" Followed by "What dat sound?"

Glow sticks and s'mores!


The kids built a "moth village" for hours. Even after all of the other kids went to bed because they were tired, Fox continued to work on it until I had to drag him to bed. He was so proud of it and I loved seeing his imagination. This is the same kid who said he wasn't sure if he wanted to go camping, because it would mean that he couldn't watch TV for a few days...ha.


The first night was freezing. Both of the boys woke up to tell me that they were cold. I ended up putting Finn in the sleeping bag with me and loaded up Finn's blankets over Fox.


Finn was pretty much glued to me the first day, but warmed up a little the second day and started exploring and playing with the other kids. 






I don't know what they were playing, but I do know the 9-year old was in charge...ha!




My friend took me and two of the little girls for a ride to a waterfall and creek. 


That afternoon we all went to another creek to let the kids play in the water.


Stephen caught some crawdads with Fox for quite a while. He was so proud of himself. When we went camping a year ago, Fox saw some crawdads in the creek and freaked out. It took him a long time to get back into the creek after that encounter, but this year he was all about it.













If I had twins...!

We all went for a "little hike", which turned into an exhausting endeavor. Finn wanted to be carried the entire time, we had to climb over lots of rocks, it was hot and I was also trying to carry a water bottle and my car keys, along with my big camera. 
Fox had fun exploring, but I was grateful for lots of extra eyes to keep my little daredevil safe.




This guy right here is amazing. The water was freezing, but he took all the kids on a little ride around the creek.

Looking at this picture makes me remember how hot it was and how the kids thought it was a great idea to roll in the sand after dipping into the creek. They were all so filthy afterwards and we had to dip them again to get them semi clean before returning to our cars. 

Group picture of all the kids, minus Finn, who didn't want to have anything to do with it. This is the best we could do.

He was attached to my hip most of the time, sweet little Mama's boy for sure.





Luckily our second night was much more comfortable. We all doubled up on pajamas and Finn and I shared the sleeping bag again, while Fox had his own sleeping bag, plus multiple blankets. 

Our filthy crew.




The week before we left for camping, I really didn't feel like going. It's so much work and to be honest, it's been a few weeks since our return and there's still stuff to be cleaned sitting in my garage. But it's always worth it. We all had so much fun and being with friends is just what I need when I don't feel good (emotionally). It fuels my soul. We made so many great memories and I'm looking forward to more camping adventures next summer. Maybe by then, I even have my camping gear cleaned up.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!