May 08, 2019

What happened to Katie?

I never thought that I had to write a post like this, but I recently had some comments about the absence of Katie in my pictures, so I want to address it and move on.


Katie left us when Finn was three months old, although emotionally she had left us way before then.

When I was 37 weeks pregnant, she went on a "solo" trip to Hawaii. A few days after her return I found out that she had gone with another woman and not only hid it from me, but also lied to me about it, when I asked her directly if she had gone with someone. Finding out was most horrible day of my life and three days later, I had Finn. I believe that the stress of what had happened put me into labor.

A lot of awful things happened since and a lot of time has passed, but to sum it up, she decided to move out at the end of October and has since served me with divorce papers, which was probably the second host horrendous day of my life, due to the way I had to find out that she filed for divorce. She ultimately decided that she wanted more autonomy and not be a mom 7 days a week, I was told that we should've never had gotten married and never had children, that I had pressured her into having these kids. 

My world has fallen apart and the life I thought I had and was going to have in the future was crushed. The last year has been so hard for me, dealing with everything that has been going on, suffering from post partum depression, having a newborn to take care of myself...it has been quite the shit show. 

But you know what? There was no time for me to crumble down and feel sorry for myself...although there were definitely moments where I allowed myself to do just that. I had two precious boys to take care of and protect, I had to keep my business running and figure out what the hell I want to do...I'm still trying to figure that out.
The boys were the life jacket I needed, I don't know what I would've done without them. They forced me to get up every morning, get dressed, put on a smile and rock the day. They brought me joy in my darkest times and although they will never know this, but I needed them more than they needed me. 

And then there were my friends. Oh how blessed I am to be surrounded by such an amazing group of people. Again, I don't know what I would've done without them. They picked me up when I was on the ground, cried with me, cursed with me, cheered me up, took me out when I needed to get out of the house, brought me meals, took care of my kids when I needed a break, checked in on me each and every day to make sure I was doing okay and showed up whenever I needed them, day or night. Seriously, they were, and are incredible. When I was served divorce papers, all I had to do was send one message, and they all showed up that night, with wine and food, advice and curse words. I love them. They are the best. 

So here I am, about a year into this shit show that is now my life and I'm feeling all kinds of emotions. Sadness, anger, hurt, disappointment, hate, love, discouragement, hope, happiness, shame. Yes, I'm ashamed that I'm about to be 38 years old and have to check that stupid box that says "divorced". This is not the life I wanted for my kids or myself, the life I imagined we would have. I don't want them to grow up with divorced parents. For me, marriage is forever and I would've worked through this until we came out on the other end. Unfortunately, the decision wasn't mine to make. 

I could keep writing this post for hours, because there is so much to say, but I'll leave you with this.
I am blessed and I am grateful. I still have a beautiful life and I have my amazing kids and incredible friends. I am not alone. I'm healthy, my kids are healthy, we have enough food on the table and a roof over our heads. That is more than a lot of people can say. 

I hope that one day I can find love again, heck, I even hope that one day I can have another baby. Sounds ridiculous, but you know what? I don't care. I might be a single mom with two little kids that is about to turn 38 (anyone else hear my biological clock ticking???), but there is a hope and this hope can bring me through a rough day. I'm taking it day by day, some days, even hour by hour, but I'm choosing happiness for my boys and I know we'll be okay. We will be better than okay.

If you have any questions, feel free to comment below, I'm an open book. If you don't have anything nice to say, please keep it to yourself, because I'm an emotional wreck, so take it easy on me. Ha! 
So there you have it, no more pictures of Katie...but I'm sure you didn't come to my blog for those anyway...LOL. 


14 comments:

  1. I am very sorry Nadine. I sensed something like that and I am devastated that I was right.
    Your boys love you unconditionally. The love of your kids will never change. You are a great mom!
    Take it easy and try and sort your life. Take your time doing that. Please never lose hope.
    There is a good site to everything that happens to us!
    Hugs
    Heike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nadine, ich hab das echt nicht kommen sehen. Das tut mir so leid für dich. Sich vorzustellen was das alles für dich und dein Leben bedeutet. Respekt davor wie gut du alles meisterst! Alles Liebe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich weiß dass jetzt alles furchtbar hart ist und Du allen Grund hast traurig, wütend, verärgert …was auch immer zu sein.
    Offensichtlich will Katie nicht das Leben was Du möchtest. Das ist hart.
    Sie muss Dich aber sehr geliebt haben dass sie versucht hat, ein Leben zu leben dass sie eigentlich nicht will und sich sogar aktiv daran beteiligt hat Dir diese Kinder zu schenken.
    Aber ihre Ehrlichkeit eröffnet dir auch die Möglichkeit jemanden zu finden der/die genau das will was Du willst und glücklich mit dem ist was dich glücklich macht.
    Warte ab, irgendwann blickst Du zurück, bist glücklicher denn je und dankbar dass alles so gekommen ist wie es ist. Es dauert halt noch seine Zeit.
    Ich habe übrigens mit einem neuen Partner direkt zwei Kinder bekommen (so ganz ohne Schwangerschaft ��) und bin auch ganz glücklich mit den Mädchen.
    Dir alles Gute und Kopf hoch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really sorry to read this, Nadine. I cant imagine how hard it must be have been on you and your boys. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liebe Nadine,
    ich lese nun mittlerweile schon Jahre deinen Blog und habe mitgefiebert mit deinem Leben. Es tut mir sehr Leid für dich, dass deine Ehe nun so geendet hat. Ich wünsche dir viel Kraft für diese schwere Zeit, du bist eine starke Frau. Nimm dir die Zeit, die du brauchst um alles in dir zu sortieren. Du bist eine tolle Mum und deine Buben sehen wirklich happy aus. Ich freue mich zu lesen, dass du tolle Freunde hast, die dich auffangen und dir zur Seite stehen. Diese Freunde helfen uns durch die Täler, durch die wir gehen müssen.
    Alles Liebe und Gute für deinen weiteren Weg.
    Liebe Grüße
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nadine, I am so sorry to hear this. What a terrible experience for you. I am sending you my best wishes and love. I hope you're doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. I am very sorry that you had to go through this - especially in that time of emotional (hormonal!) changes of giving birth.
    I am also sorry if I started it all by asking.
    Nonetheless I admire you and your views on life very much and am looking forward to see you and the boys grow older and wiser. You deserve all the luck in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Nadine,
    ich bin eine stille Leserin. Vor einigen Jahren...es ist bestimmt schon 6-7 Jahre her, habe ich deinen Blog im weiten WWW gefunden. Ich fand dich symphatisch und habe gerne alle paar Wochen deinen Blog und somit euch besucht und euch irgendwie auch etwas kennengelernt. (soweit man das virtuell überhaupt kann :) ) Bei deiner ersten Schwangerschaft waren wir fast zeitgleich schwanger. Somit sah ich in deinem Blog immer eine Verbindung. Ehrlich gesagt bin ich jetzt ganz schön geschockt, das ihr getrennt seit. Damit habe ich nicht gerechnet und ich habe es auch nicht geahnt. Es tut mir wirklich sehr leid ...vor allem für eure Kinder. :( Ich wünsche euch von Herzen alles Gute und lasst euch bitte nicht unterkriegen. Jede Talfahrt geht auch wieder Bergauf...wirklich!!! Denk an deine Kinder ...wie sagt man so schön...unser Alltag ist ihre Kindheit. Aber wie ich dich per Internet kennenlernen durfte und auch in deinem jetzigen Post gelesen habe, merke ich das du wirklich stark bist und das Beste draus machst. Weiter so! Ich weiß nicht ob es ok ist, dass ich das frage aber wie regelst du/ihr das finanziell? Gehst du wieder arbeiten? Müsst ihr umziehen? Bedingt durch eine Trennung wird das eigene Konzept ja oft über den Haufen geworfen und man muss sich umorientieren. Ich drücke dir die Daumen. Du bist eine tolle Frau und deine Kinder machen einen sehr glücklichen Eindruck.
    Fühl dich gedrückt
    Ganz liebe Grüße
    Nicole aus NRW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ich bin ebenfalls eine stille Leserin und irgendwie hat man das Gefühl man kennt dich und dein Leben. Es tut mir leid zu hören, dass es mit deiner Ehe nicht funktioniert hat. Ich schicke dir eine virtuelle Umarmung und ganz viel Kraft. Deine Jungs sind dein Halt und in Zukunft wird sicher eine neue Liebe in dein Leben treten. Am Ende wird alles gut und wenn es nicht Gut ist, ist es auch nicht das Ende. Mich würden auch Fragen interessieren, wie ob du noch im Haus wohnst? Und hattest du nicht bei Katies Eltern in der Firma gearbeitet? Wie geht Fox damit um? Hat Katie und ihre Familie aber noch Kontakt zu den Kindern? Liebe Grüße aus Niedersachsen, Katrin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallo, ich - auch `ne stille Leserin - habe diesen Post jetzt mehrmals gelesen und jedes Mal stolpere ich über ein Wort: shame. Bitte nicht, schämen sollte sich jemand anders! Alles alles Gute! Liebe Grüße Petra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noch eine jangjährige stille Mitleserin. Ich weiß genau, wie es dir ging/geht. Mir ging es letztes Jahr genauso. Da ging es auch um Lügen und Betrug, einen Mann dem das Vatersein zu viel wurde und schlussendlich ich als alleinerziehende Mama in einem Haus mit 2 Kindern und einem Leben, das ich nie so wollte. Meine Lebensträume waren zerplatzt, ich war am Boden zerstört und ich habe genau das gefühlt, was du beschreibst: sadness, anger, hurt, disappointment, hate, love, discouragement, hope, happiness, shame...eine scheinbar nicht enden wollende emotionale Achterbahn. Man liest ja viel über so stages of separation und grief und healing und wie man sich so fühlt und dass man aus der ganzen Situation oft gestärkt herauskommt und glücklicher ist als vorher und ich ich habe mich lange gefragt, wie das gehen soll. Und dann kommt der Tag, an dem man merkt man ist gestärkt und man ist glücklich und man sieht nach langer Zeit wieder jemanden im Spiegel, den man sehr vermisst hat und man ist zufrieden mit dem was man sieht und mächtig stolz auf diese Frau, die dem neuen Leben mit neuer Lebensfreude und neuem Mut entgegen geht und sich auf das freut was vor ihr liegt. An dem Punkt bin ich angekommen und ich wünsche dir, dass du eine ähnlich positive Erfahrung machst. Alles Gute

    ReplyDelete
  12. Auch ich lese schon seit Jahren mit. Es tut mir leid, was dir passiert ist aber du bist nicht allein und so etwas passiert nicht nur dir. Ich bin allein mit drei Kindern und es war eine harte emotionale Zeit und ich habe so gefühlt wie du es beschreibst aber letztendlich sollte man auch daran denken wie stark man doch eigentlich ist das alles zu überstehen. Es geht immer irgendwie weiter man darf sich nur nicht aufgeben. Sie hat sich so entschieden, wie alles gelaufen ist, war nicht ok aber denk nicht zu viel daran zurück. Manchmal entscheidet das Schicksal (daran hab ich früher nie geglaubt) so, um letztendlich dein Leben vielleicht glücklicher zu machen. Man sollte sich nicht so sehr an Vorstellungen klammern, die man vom Leben hatte und wie alles sein sollte. Es wird weitergehen und du wirst jemanden finden, der dich glücklich macht und der dieselben Träume und Vorstellungen vom Leben hat wie du. Ich wünsche dir alles Liebe und lese natürlich gern weiter mit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just start this comment by saying how amazing you are, Nadine. You have held it together mama, and I can see the joy those sweet boys bring into your life in every post you share. Knowing that you were going through something so incredibly difficult, all while welcoming your precious boy and caring for two is something that only the strongest of moms could endure. What an incredible example for your boys.

    As someone who grew up with divorced parents, please know that there is no shame in having a family that looks a bit different than how you thought it should look, or would look. I have the most amazing memories of childhood, most of which were with my mom and I honestly don't feel that I was cheated out of anything because my mom did everything in her power to make sure of that. I know that you will do the same, because you are an incredible mother.

    Please know that I am here to support you in any way you need and I'll be cheering you on from New Mexico. Sending all my love and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just going to start by saying I didn't see that coming :(
    So sorry to hear the news.

    You said we were welcome to ask questions, so I'd love to know how much Katie and her family are still part of your life? Do the boys see them often?

    Also, how about work? You used to work together in one office, didn't you?

    Lastly, would this be enough to ever move back to Germany? Or are you totally 100% settled in the US?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!