May 09, 2018

April Re-cap

I look at these pictures and it feels like this was forever ago, even though it was just a month. 

A big milestone for Mr. Fox happened at the beginning of the month: He had his first solo playdate! School was closed, but his best friend's mom offered to take Fox for one morning, so I could work. 
I wasn't worried about him at all and knew he would have a blast, and the pictures she kept sending me throughout the morning were proof of that. 

Fox had been eyeing this necklace at Hobby Lobby for quite some time now. Every time we went there, he told us he wanted to buy this "beautiful rainbow necklace", but always ended up picking something else instead (we tell him, he can only have one thing). But he never stopped talking about it. One day, we made a special trip there just to get it, and what do you know...he ended up picking a white "diamond" necklace instead because he likes diamonds. He says he still wants the beautiful rainbow necklace though. 

Katie and Fox had a sleepover under Fox's climbing structure in the playroom one night. They watched a movie, ate popcorn and surprisingly both slept there all night long. 

One Saturday, we attended a carnival Fox's dentist put on and while it was a super hot morning, Fox had so much fun. 


Waiting patiently for his balloon animal. I ruined his day about an hour later, when I accidentally popped part of his balloon. 

Playing hide and seek is one of his favorites. He was so proud for hiding under the train table!

Another morning at the park with our friends Kristy and Jake. We had planned to do another art project, but it failed miserably, but of course Kristy was prepared as usual and brought tons of supplies to make "stone soup".

The boys had fun finding rocks, grass and sticks for their soup and spiced it up with some cinnamon. 

At the end, they added baking soda and vinegar to make it bubble over and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. They pretended it was hot lava and ran around screaming and laughing. 

That night, we celebrated Katie's parent's 29th wedding anniversary.

These two call themselves the Wild Bunch and the name couldn't be more fitting. They're always making jokes, running around and playing wild and you can hear Fox's laughter from a mile away. That night, Grandpa took Fox to his "Daddy and me" Pajama Party at school. I'm glad he has such a special bond with his grandpa and he sometimes even says that he has a daddy...a grandpa daddy. 
While Fox never seemed to have an issue with not having a dad (so far), he had to experience his first bout of discrimination at only three years old. Apparently one of the kids in his school told Fox that he's not allowed to play with them and then that bully spit on Fox, because Fox doesn't have a dad. 
When I heard my sweet innocent three year old tell me that story, I wanted to burst into tears. I couldn't believe that this kind of stuff already happens at such a young age, I thought we had a few years before we had to face those kind of comments from other kids. 
Fox said he just walked away from them, but that it made him sad...that he wasn't allowed to play, not because he doesn't have a dad. We talked to him for a long time that night and both of us were so angry and hurt for him.
Unfortunately, we weren't able to find out what kid did this (he said he wasn't in his class), I talked to his teachers the next day, but they said all of the kids in the class know that Fox has two mommies and they have talked about how every family is different and that it never had been an issue within the classroom.
I want to protect my sweet boy, but I know I won't be able to every time and that he will have to face more discrimination in the future. I just hope we can raise him confident and that he never feels like he's missing out because he doesn't have a dad. 

Moving on!

Another year, another remodeling project. Next up, Fox's old nursery, which will be the new baby's nursery. I really, really loved that room and it was one of my favorite spaces in our house, but Katie wanted to make some changes, so here we go. This is the before picture. We are getting new floors, new paint, a new ceiling fan, new baseboards and added lights in the ceiling. 

I have a love/hate relationship with bath time. It's always a struggle getting him in the tub, always a struggle washing his hair and always a struggle getting him out of the tub, because he usually ends up having so much fun in there that he doesn't want to come out until the water is ice cold. But if I get lucky, he'll play in there for a solid hour while I get a chance to fold all of our laundry (the master closet is attached to the bathroom, so it's easy to put away laundry while still watching him). 

The sweetest smile!

Bunco night with my girls, always a blast...although I keep losing...ha!

2 comments:

  1. A month full of cuteness!!

    Ugghhh the bullying story. That breaks my heart for both of you. I am glad you addressed it immediately with school staff and that they were open and supportive to dialogue.

    Bath time woes, I feel you. Takes an hour to get them there and then another hour to get them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrrrr! It made me so mad to hear about that little $hit bullying Fox! I'm glad that he's a positive guy and just moved on though. Walking away from something like that shows how mature he is, so good for him! I can't wait to see the "after" of the baby room.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!