November 14, 2019

Family Visit

We had some very special visitors last month, my mom and grandma stayed with us for two weeks and it was hard to see them go again.
When my mom told me a few months ago that my 79-year old grandma wanted to come visit me as well, I was shocked. She had never been out of the country until this year and it was so special to me that she would take this long trip to spend some time with me and the boys.
Obviously she had never met Finn before and it had been two years since she last saw Fox.

She knitted this special teddy for him and he loved it.


My mom always goes overboard with presents when she comes to visit, but Fox doesn't complain about it.

While Fox is more apprehensive towards people he doesn't know well, Finn was at the perfect age and my mom was soaking up every minute she got to spend with them.

Another first, my grandma had never eaten a burger before! I don't think she loved it, but I was proud of her for trying. Funny fact, she got so embarrassed about me when I asked the waitress for a to go box and empty to go cup for my soda before we left. Taking your leftovers from a restaurant was definitely not something she was comfortable with. She also couldn't believe that you could get unlimited refills for free and that water is completely free.

Homework time

Finn is really into reading books lately and wants me to read the same story over and over again. His favorite books are the Sandra Boynton books and I think it's so cute that he loves reading so much.

Just like last year, my mom was such a great help to me. From helping with the kids, to doing dishes or laundry, she even helped me with my Etsy Orders...I was spoiled!

These two couldn't communicate at all with each other, but they did this puzzle together and it seriously warmed my heart to see my grandma spend time with my kids.



We did a few outings, to the park, playground, different play places, the aquarium and the science center.










My grandma and I even painted a doormat for her together. She enjoyed doing it, so I gave her a few more to make. 

Katie's stepmom asked to meet us for lunch one day and although communication was very limited, I thought it was very sweet of her to want to see my family.

My family HATES pictures. They get really awkward about them, especially my mom. So what did I do? I set up a family photo shoot without letting them know, because I really wanted a picture of all of us. Who knows if we'll ever be together again and although I knew they wouldn't like it, they were glad afterwards that I forced them to. In my defense, it was a 5 minute session, if even that, I just wanted one picture and we took it right after Finn had his monthly pictures taken.

And this is real life right here...this picture cracks me up.

I had such a good time with them and I think I learned more about my grandma in those two weeks than I had my entire life. We had some really great and deep conversations and I learned so much about her life.
I missed them the moment I dropped them off at the airport, because you never know when and if you'll see each other again. I don't see myself traveling to Germany by myself with two little kids and I know my grandma won't come back here, it was a once in a lifetime adventure for her.
I'm so grateful that they came and I will treasure the memories and moments I had with them for a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. i got emotional seeing those pictures. emotional for you - that must have been such a special time. i am very happy for you that you got to make this memories!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!