Skip to main content

Fox | 1 Month Update

June, 14th, 2014







Weight:
10 lbs, 5 oz

Height:
22 inches

Health:
Fox has passed all of his newborn screenings with flying colors, he’s been healthy as can be!

Nicknames:
Katie has many nicknames for him: Big Honey (that’s the one she uses 99% of the time), Baby Hercules (because he is so strong), Baby Supermodel, Baby Genius and Big Stinky.
We also call him bubbas, Mr. Fox, honeybear, Mr. Grumpy Pants and Crunchy Face.

Eating:
The beginning was tough. He lost too much weight in the hospital and we had to supplement with formula and I had to pump after each feeding as well, it was stressful! After my milk came in, we slowly cut the formula and replaced it with pumped breastmilk that we fed him in a bottle until he was about two weeks old when he exceeded his birth weight. At that point, I started breastfeeding again and it’s been going pretty well. Sometimes he has problems latching and he usually only feeds for ten minutes, but he seems to be gaining weight and has enough dirty diapers, so I’m thinking he is getting enough. He will eat every 2.5 – 3 hours during the day, sometimes closer, and goes 4-5 hours at night. We still feed him one bottle of pumped breastmilk a day (usually at night before he goes to bed) and he’ll eat 3-4oz.

Sleeping:
I really can’t complain. Most nights, he only wakes up once and he usually sleeps anywhere from 3-5 hour stretches. Some nights, he will stay up for 1-2 hours though, but still better than having to wake up every two hours. He goes to bed any time between 8-10pm, wakes up around midnight – 1am and then sleeps until the early morning hours (any time between 5-6:30am). During the day, he is unpredictable. Some days he’ll sleep long hours during the day and other days, he is up for 6 hours straight! I’d love to get him on a schedule, but this kid seems to have a mind of his own and I don’t know how to do it.
He LOVES to sleep in our arms, his pack n play and bassinet, but hates his crib, every time I try to put him in there, he wakes up after a few minutes and screams bloody murder!

Diapers:
We just transitioned him to size 1 diapers, he wore newborn diapers for the first four weeks. He loves to get his diaper changed and last weekend we had our first projectile pee/poop incident, lets just say Katie, the pack n play and floor were covered in poop! We laughed so hard! After one month of mommyhood, being covered in spit up, pee or poop doesn’t phase us anymore.

Clothing:
His newborn clothes are getting tight and he mostly wears 3 month clothing right now. Some fit perfectly and some are still a little big on him.

Social:
He is so alert! Always looking around with big eyes, he loves looking at himself in a mirror and keeps eye contact. He enjoys laying on his play mat or looking at the mobile on his changing table.
He did his first social smile on June 10th, when Katie made funny faces at him and did it with me a few days later when I was singing to him. It’s the cutest thing!

Likes:
Diaper Changes, looking at himself in the mirror, sleeping on his mommies, bouncy seat, bicycle legs, when we sing to him, looking at lights or the fan, rocking in the glider in his room and bath time!

Dislikes:
When he doesn’t get his way! ;) His stroller, not being upright.

Mama:
Recovering from the C-Section was tough. I was in a lot of pain for a few weeks and then developed a spinal migraine that put me right back in the hospital where they had to do a blood patch. Those first few weeks are a total blur to me and I’ve never been so tired, overwhelmed and happy all at the same time.
I still have 13lbs to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I’m surprised that I still don’t fit in my pre-pregnancy “fat pants” yet.
I started working part-time when he was three weeks old and although it’s nice to be back at work, it’s stressful to juggle everything as well and I’m worried about going back full-time (I take him with me to work and/or work from home).

Mommy:
Katie has been great, right from the start. I couldn’t wish for a better partner and mom for Fox. She’s been taking care of both of us since day 1 and even the nurses in the hospital commented on it!
She’s an awesome mommy and very hands on with our little love.

Fun things we did:
We had lots of visitors this first month and enjoyed spending time with family and friends. It is so special to see other people love on him, it’s like nothing else!
We’ve slowly tried to leave the house, after being cooped up for a few weeks. We’ve been to dinner a couple of times, ran some errands and visited Grandpa. It’s Baby Steps for now, but we get more and more comfortable and it gets easier each time.

What we’re looking forward to:
Getting out more and starting swim “lessons” at 8 weeks!


Comments

  1. Why did you stop translating your posts in german?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I'm back at work while taking care of a newborn at the same time, so I don't have time anymore. I added a translation button on the right side of my blog though! :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean to be rude, I hope you didn't get me wrong. I was just curious.
      Do you have more readers in the US or germany? (and if you don't know for sure, what would you guess?)

      Delete
    3. No, it didn't come across rude at all, no worries! I had a few people ask me actually! I think I have more readers in Germany, but I decided to keep it in english because a lot of people in Germany speak english (and I don't know many Americans who understand german) and it's easier for me to write in english these days! :) I understand that some people might be disappointed that I'm not translating anymore, but unfortunately I just don't have the time these days!

      Delete
  2. Hallo Nadine, dein Blog ist echt super! Schaue immer wieder gern vorbei! Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu eurem zuckersüßen Sonnenschein! Der Kleine ist ja total goldig! Viele Grüße Carolin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

April phone dump

Some more pictures of our April. He's my bed hog, but I love sharing the bed with him and the way he comes find me in his sleep to snuggle up to me. Work Crew! Easter Preparations...it took me a solid hour to fill all the eggs. Finn chipped his permanent front tooth, and had to get it fixed. He was so brave. I tried to hold his hand to let him know I was there, and he kept giving me a thumbs up. Reading in bed with them is my favorite. We went to play mini golf, and it was an absolutely shit show. Just look at Finn in the background, he was on fire on this day. That's his "cool face". Not pictured are all the times he melted down because he wasn't "good enough". I really need to stop playing this game with him, because it happens every single time...haha.  Book Club! I wasn't a fan of the book, but it was great getting out and talking about books with other readers. He got into kinetic sand for a few weeks, and I felt like my floors were covered in s...

Germany

I took a quick trip to Germany over spring break while the boys were on vacation with Katie. My dad had some medical issues over the past year, and it had been almost two years since I went, but a trip that was supposed to be five days in Germany, ended up being only four days because of flight delays. When in Germany for the first time, you HAVE to try Mettbroetchen. Needless to say, she was not a fan haha. A trip down memory lane is always on the agenda for the first day, walking around my village, visiting the homes where I grew up in (which are luckily still owned by my family), visiting my grandparent's graves, and eating all my favorite foods.  My only living grandparent, and one of the main reasons I wanted to go visit. It was so special to spend time with her. We had doener almost every day! Family dinner at my favorite restaurant one night, I absolutely loved how many people were able to join us even though it was very short notice. We also had breakfast at my grandma'...

May iPhone dump

Some pictures to round up on our May! I got this sweet birthday card from my supervisors and director and it made my day. Playdates with friends! I took the boys to the Home Show to visit Katie. Aunt Bri photo bombed their picture! Dentist vibes! We had a fun dinner and swim date with my friend Lindsay and her kids. These two jumped in the pool fully dressed! I loved seeing how well they got along. Finn's Mother's Day Project from school, always funny! They had a cute Mother's Day celebration at school where they served us moms with muffins and coffee, and presented a little poem. My friend Jessica posted this about our random Goodwill date, and I loved her words. For my birthday, I wanted to have a little brunch with my friends, and it was such a perfect morning with my favorite people. Add a baby in the mix, and I was in heaven! Proud mom moment, and this needs a permanent spot for my memories. Fox has worked so incredibly hard this year, I was so worried about him transi...