September 26, 2019

Fox's 1st Day of Kindergarten

It was an emotional week to say the least, because only a few days after Finn turned one, my big kid started Kindergarten. Cue the tears!
We met his teacher a few days before school started and he was so nervous, but all smiles and felt so much better after he met her. We were hoping that one of his best friends from his old school would be in his class, but he ended up in a different Kindergarten class at the same school. 



And then it was here, his first day at a brand new, big kid school. I don't know who was more nervous, me or him. We made his teacher a little gift for the first day.

We were able to walk him into class and get him situated, take a picture, but then had to leave pretty soon. The second day I was only allowed to walk him to the door and starting on the third day, we had to drop him off at the gate. Such a difference from preschool.

He didn't cry and seemed to have had a great day when I picked him up at 3:15pm. The only thing he said that it was a long day, but also that he made a friend, but didn't know his name yet (it ended up taking three weeks until he learned his friend's name).
We celebrated with ice cream!

In german tradition, he received a "Schultuete" once we got home, filled with some treats, little toys and school supplies. 

For his first homework, he had to draw a self portrait. Finn wanted to help too...or maybe he just wanted to eat the markers.

The following two pictures were taken by his teacher and I love to see him having fun at school.


It's been over a month (because I'm THAT late with keeping up with this blog) and while he has days where he says that he doesn't want to go to school, for the most part he is happy to go. 
It feels like such a big difference from Pre-K though. He has homework every day, it's long days, there is very limited communication with his teacher and you can drop off the kids in a carline, which is a whole new world for me. I definitely felt very weird that first day when i "kicked him" out of the car, wished him a good day and he had to get out and walk to class all by himself. We've only done this maybe twice, because he does not like doing carline, so I usually park and walk him to the gate and we wait for the bell to ring together. 
I can't believe I have a kid in Kindergarten! If I could freeze time right now, I would. Look how little he was in that first picture! Wasn't that just yesterday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!