November 18, 2015

Keeping up with German Traditions

Last year, we attended our first Sankt Martin's Lantern Walk here in Phoenix. I grew up with this tradition in Germany and I love that we have a German group here that organizes the event for all the kids. 
I want Fox to learn about his German heritage and hopefully he will enjoy all these German traditions and holidays we celebrate over the year as much as I do, when he is older. 

The Lantern Walk was held at MacDonald's Ranch, which is where we also went to the Pumpkin Patch a few weeks ago. We came a little early, so we could play and visit the petting zoo before the lantern walk started. 





This is St. Martin! Fox is holding his Lantern Stick (that he broke the night before after two minutes of me handing it to him!), but I didn't attach the lantern to it until a little later (because I had learned from the incident the night before...haha).


My friend Julia came from Tucson with her kids as well, her daughter loves Mr. Fox! 

Ready to start the walk! Of course, it's nothing compared to the ones I used to attend in Germany, but we had fun nonetheless and Fox enjoyed looking at all the pretty lanterns and hear the kids sing. 




It was a fun afternoon/evening and we are looking forward to next year!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so jealous. I wish we had something like that here. I keep thinking that Halloween is supposed to make up for the missing St. Martin celebrations and Karneval!
    Maybe I should start some German traditions here.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!