December 08, 2013

My secret Baby Closet

It all started out very innocently with a cute pair of baby shoes I found on clearance for $3 at Target more than 2.5 years ago. I felt guilty buying them, after all, we wouldn't try for a baby for another year, but they made me happy and for $3, I thought, what the heck! 
Little did I know that those innocent baby shoes would be the start of a much bigger obsession. From that day forward, each time I went to Target, I strolled through the baby clearance aisles and most days, I left the store with another baby item in my bag. I felt like I could justify the purchases if it was under $4, after all, most people buy coffee at Starbucks for that kind of money, which I never did. And again, it made me happy, it made me excited, so what was the harm?
I knew however, that Katie wouldn't be too thrilled with my baby shopping sprees, at that time, the thought of having a baby still freaked her out a little bit (how times have changed…she's obsessed about the baby now!), so I kept my purchases under the radar and this is how the "secret baby closet" developed. 
We had a closet in the guest bedroom, where we stored Ski Jackets and other miscellaneous items we only used every once in a while, so this is where my baby items went, hidden in small shoe boxes in the closet. Again, it started out pretty innocent, I filled one shoe box, then two, then three and all of the sudden I had about 10! 
I don't remember how and when I told Katie about my secret baby closet, but I know it must have been at least a year after I started it. You're probably wondering how she reacted…well, let me tell you, she jumped right on the bandwagon! Ha! 
We started to shop at Goodwill for baby books, filled our shopping carts with diapers and wipes whenever I could get them for free (or really cheap) with coupons, we bought an "Elf on the Shelve" one year after Christmas, when they were on Clearance, and we still rummaged through the clearance aisles at Target, although Katie wasn't a big fan of buying gender specific items. Well, let me re-phrase that, she wasn't a fan of me buying girl clothes, like she knew all along that we were going to have a boy! Hell, we even bought a crib mattress! 
Obviously, the secret baby closet reached its capacity pretty soon at the rate we were going, and all of the sudden we had an entire room dedicated to huge boxes full of baby items. I'm just glad that I was already pregnant when we moved last month, and our helpers had to carry box after box down the stairs that were labeled "Diapers", "Baby Books", "Boy Clothes", "Gender-neutral Items" and "Toys". It might have been a little embarrassing otherwise! 
So before I'm going to unpack our boxes in the nursery (which luckily is a pretty huge room with a lots of storage), I'm going to share with you our formerly secret baby closet, which now consists of many many boxes that are stored in our library. 
I do have another box stored on top of my closet with girl clothes. Hopefully we will be able to use them eventually, if not, I know I will find takers who can use them! I don't regret buying any of the items this early, even if we don't end up using them, they made me very happy at the time and kept me hopeful, that eventually, we will have a little baby of our own. I'm still in awe that this time will be here soon, only five more months until we're going to meet our son! 



Es begann alles sehr harmlos mit einem suessen Paar Babyschuhe, die ich vor mehr als 2,5 Jahren fuer $3 bei Target fand. Ich hatte ein schlechtes Gewissen, sie zu kaufen, denn unser erster Versuch, ein Baby zu bekommen, war erst im nächsten Jahr, aber die Schuhe machten mich glücklich und für $3 dachte ich, warum nicht? 
Ich hatte ja keine Ahnung, dass diese harmlosen Babyschuhe der Beginn von etwas viel Größerem sein würden. Seit diesem Tag hielt ich ständig Ausschau nach reduzierten Babysachen wenn ich nach Target ging, und meistens verliess ich den Laden mit einem weiteren Baby Artikel in der Tasche. 
Ich sagte mir, dass es ja nicht schlimm wäre, solange jeder Artikel unter $4 lag, die meisten Leute kaufen sich von diesem Geld jeden Tag bei Starbucks einen Kaffee, was ich ja nie tat. Ausserdem machte es mich glücklich und gab mir Vorfreude, was hatte ich also zu verlieren?
Ich wusste allerdings, dass Katie nicht gerade begeistert von meinen Einkäufen sein würde, zu dieser Zeit machte sie der Gedanke, dass wir ein Baby haben würden, noch sehr nervös (wie sich die Zeiten geändert haben…heutzutage ist sie von dem Baby besessen!), von daher hielt ich die Babysachen geheim und so kam das "Secret Baby Closet" (der geheime Baby Schrank) ins Spiel. 
Im Gaestezimmer war ein Kleiderschrank, wo wir nur unsere Skisachen aufbewahrten und andere Dinge, die wir nur ab und an mal benutzten, und dort bewahrte ich also meine Babyeinkäufe in Schuhkartons auf. 
Auch dies begann sehr harmlos, ich füllte einen Schuhkarton, dann zwei, dann drei und auf einmal hatte ich mehr als 10! 
Ich kann mich nicht mehr daran erinnern, wann und wie ich Katie von meinem geheimen Babyschrank erzählte, aber ich weiss, dass es mindestens ein Jahr später war. Ihr fragt euch vermutlich, wie sie reagiert hat…lasst uns einfach mal festhalten, dass sie direkt mit Feuer und Flamme dabei war! Ha!
Wir fingen an, bei Goodwill Baby Bücher zu kaufen, füllten unsere Einkaufswagen mit Windeln und Feuchttuechern, wenn wir sie mit Coupons umsonst (oder sehr sehr billig) bekamen, wir kauften nach Weihnachten einen "Elf on the Shelve", als er reduziert wurde, und wir schauten weiterhin nach reduzierten Klamotten bei Target, obwohl Katie kein grosser Fan davon war geschlechtsspezifische Sachen zu kaufen. Okay, sie war kein Fan davon, wenn ich Mädchensachen kaufen wollte, als hätte sie die ganze Zeit gewusst, dass wir einen Jungen haben würden! 
Wir haben sogar eine Baby Matratze vor zwei Jahren oder so gekauft! 
Natürlich erreichte der geheime Baby Schrank schnell seine Kapazität, wir kaufen fast jede Woche etwas und auf einmal hatten wir ein ganzes Zimmer im Haus, was mit grossen Kisten voller Baby Artikel gefüllt war.
Ich bin froh, dass ich bereits schwanger war, als wir letzten Monat umgezogen sind, denn unsere Helfer mussten Kiste für Kiste nach unten schleppen, auf denen "Windeln", "Babybücher", "Jungensachen"und "Spielzeug" stand.
Es wäre sonst vielleicht etwas peinlich gewesen!
Und bevor ich unsere Kisten im Kinderzimmer auspacken werde (welches zum Glück riesig ist und viel Stauraum hat), werde ich euch einen kleinen Blick in meinen geheimen Babyschrank geben, welcher nun aus vielen Kartons besteht, die in unserer Bibliothek gelagert sind. 
Ich habe ausserdem einen Karton voller Mädchensachen auf meinem Kleiderschrank gelagert. Ich hoffe, dass wir irgendwann in der Lage sein werden, die Sachen zu benutzen, wenn nicht, dann weiss ich, dass ich Leute finden werde, die diese Sachen gut gebrauchen können! 
Ich bereue es nicht, dass wir viele Dinge so früh gekauft haben, auch wenn wir sie am Ende vielleicht nicht benutzen werden, zu der Zeit, als ich sie kaufte, machten sie mich sehr glücklich und hoffnungsvoll, dass wir irgendwann auch ein kleines Baby in unserem Haus haben werden. 
Ich finde es immer noch unglaublich, dass diese Zeit bald für uns gekommen ist, nur noch fünf Monate, bis wir unseren Sohn kennenlernen! 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!

    I started buying things 8/9 years ago and our poor child will have to wear all the crazy Gymboree outfits I bought off ebay when I lived in the States.

    Over the past 6 years working as a nanny here in the UK I have also acquired a small selection of baby items, all through charity shops(like goodwill in the US).
    Once I actually fell pregnant, I just didn't allow myself to buy anything, which was weird, but we started by buying one item the day of our gender scan(17+5) and now I have to be careful or baby will end up with more clothes that he/she cold ever wear.
    I bought a Baby Bjorn Bouncy Chair for £15 instead of £85 on a local facebook group this weekend and a Dreamgenii Pregnancy Pillow for £10 instead of £45.

    I'm going home to Germany for Christmas where I also have a little secret stash...I think after the holidays I will do a similar post to this one, what a fun idea.
    Maybe it's the German bargain hunter gene in both of us that made us buy things years in advance ;-)

    PS, have you seen that I announced what we're having?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Sehr schöner Beitrag. Da fühle ich mich doch gleich ganz normal :) Ich habe auch schon vor Jahren damit angefangen bei jedem USA Besuch stapelweise Babykleidung zu hamstern. Den größten Einkauf hat mir mein Mann allerdings verboten (Carter´s Outlet...mehr Sachen, als ich tragen konnte.... lol...). Es waren immer Mädchensachen, weil ich immer schon gerne eine Tochter wollte. 5 Jahre nach dem ersten "secret baby drawer" Einkauf kam sie dann auf die Welt und ich fand es einfach nur toll ihr die Sachen endlich anziehen zu können. ....v.einer stillen Mitleserin...35 Schwangerschaftswoche mit Nr.2 :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from readers! Leave me a note to let me know you were here!